05 October 2010

Call me wacky... but you see the phrase...

..."frenzy of rape"... isn't it time somebody actually did something?
-- LUVUNGI, Democratic Republic of Congo -- “I felt personally guilty and guilty toward the people I met there,” said Atul Khare, the assistant secretary general for peacekeeping, who recently visited Luvungi. “They told me, ‘We’ve been raped, we’ve been brutalized, give us peace and security.’ Unfortunately, I said, that is something I cannot promise.”

Many critics contend that nowhere else in the world has the United Nations invested so much and accomplished so little. What happened in Luvungi, with nearby peacekeepers failing to respond to a village under siege, is similar to a massacre in Kiwanja in 2008, when rebels killed 150 people within earshot of a United Nations base.
The United Nations... worse than useless... because it allows people to pretend they're actually doing something.

**********

RELATED: And speaking of moonbattery