14 March 2009

Somebody hand that woman a scalpel

A woman raped by a convicted psychopath who is now asking the government to pay for his sex-change operation says she is appalled with the justice system.

"When I first saw the (Toronto Sun) news article it almost sent me over the edge," said the woman, who goes by the name of Tina because her identity was banned from publication in court.

"At this point I would volunteer to do the surgery myself and it would not cost the taxpayers a dime."

Her rapist, Vance Egglestone, was found not guilty by reason of insanity for the brutal rape of a Toronto woman in 1976. Ten years later, he was let out on a conditional release and attacked Tina. He was charged with aggravated sexual assault, forcible confinement and choking and later pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of sexual assault.

In last week's Sun story, Taylor apologized to his victims, saying "I'm so sorry for what I have done."

But Tina said the apology brought her little comfort.

She said she was choked with such force that she fell unconscious and her eyes remained bloodshot for some time.

"I should have been dead by all accounts," she said.

The man -- now a transsexual who legally changed his name to Shauna Taylor -- has been held indefinitely at Oakridge centre for the criminally insane in Penetanguishene.

Tina said while officials are spending thousands in court costs to argue over how her rapist's request for an assessment should be funded, no one has shown concern for the victims.

"This psychopath was only out a few months when he attacked me," said Tina. "It was a conditional release. What were the conditions--'call us if you feel the urge to rape?' ... and what was I when they released him -- their fucking test subject?"
**********

FROM THE COMMENTS:
"I say we hand that woman a chainsaw."
**********

RELATED: In other "crime is falling" news...
-- TORONTO -- The circumstances behind an early-morning shooting at the Guvernment nightclub that left three men wounded remain murky.

"We have no indication they were intended targets. None of them are saying, 'I had a beef with somebody, and the next thing I have a hole in me.' There's none of that."

Shootings have happened at the club before. In January 2007, two men suffered non-life-threatening injuries as a result of gunshots when they were evicted the club.
No word yet from Mayor Miller's office... on which gun club is responsible.

*