18 May 2009

Stockholm Religion

It is a harsh, but necessary thing to point out that, in reality, children are hostages to their parents. They are vulnerable, both physically and psychically.

If parents teach their children that the world is flat, the children will not only uncritically take that on as a personal belief, but they will fight others psychologically, even physically, who disagree, because disagreement is an indirect attack against their parents on whom they are one hundred percent dependent.

The correlation is nearly total: If parents believe in a particular religion, their children, as adults, will as well.
**********

FROM THE COMMENTS:
"Bless my folks: one agnostic, the other atheist, but saw that I got to catechism and church until I made up my own mind that, as has been said, "Its not that I don't believe in god. Its just that I don't trust his ground crew".
*


9 comments:

Roy Eappen said...

Isn't that true for atheism as well?

Neo Conservative said...

*
good point, roy... but no... not in this house anyway.

we've told our young son why we aren't believers... but that he is free to make up his own mind.

i have also told him that i reserve the right to change my mind about god, if i happen to stumble across some irrefutable proof.

i have also offered to go with him any time to any church of his choice.

at present, he is still trying to puzzle this one out on his own and that is as it should be.

*

Roy Eappen said...

Thats very good of you neo. Maybe you are more agnostic than atheist.

Rob Budde said...

A healthy approach Neo.

Neo Conservative said...

*
well guys... in general, i'm in agreement with p.j. o'rourke who said... "show me the logic AND the lab equipment".

*

JA Goneaux said...

Bless my folks: one agnostic, the other atheist, but saw that I got to catechism and church until I made up my own mind that, as has been said, "its not that I don't believe in god. Its just that I don't trust his ground crew"...

Neo Conservative said...

*
see, for me, it's like this... i don't believe in flying saucers, but if somebody ponies up some convincing proof... i could get on board.

same with god.

i don't expect anybody else to share my thinking on this... and expect the same courtesy in return.

*

steve said...

My friend worked in a day care centre where they were forbidden to talk about God but encouraged to foster belief in Santa Claus

Neo Conservative said...

*
funny how that works, huh?

*