21 November 2008

Okay... I'll say it again

Once again, I'm gonna ask that anonymous commenters to the blog take on some sort of pseudonym... (for example, a gmail account)... to distinguish themselves from the increasingly mindless, race-baiting, one-trick pony herd.
Like a lot of fellow conservative travellers... I've been getting all kinds of obscene, threatening trolls... and it's just getting to the point where it interferes with the flow and enjoyment of actual conversations. Verbal sparring is one thing... simply spouting anonymous obscenities and silly threats is totally another.

It's not like this dim bulb even has a point... or perhaps being an obnoxious troll IS THE POINT... so I've simply been deleting some of the stupidest stuff as it comes in.

I could always go to "full moderation" like so many other bloggers... or no comments at all... like Kathy Shaidle... but the truth is, I usually enjoy the interplay in the comments even more than any editorialising I do in the posts themselves.

I guess I'd just never really anticipated having the internet equivalent of obscene phone hangups constantly muddying up the comment threads.

I actually don't know what's more pathetic... this guy's apparent need to constantly spew sexual references... or the fact that he just can't ever seem to get enough of my attention.

Yup, that's mighty impressive, nonny... in a moody adolescent sorta way. I hate to think what you do when you're not hissing & spitting in the comments here.

I should mention this is only one of the half dozen comment threads "my own personal troll" decided to bombard last night. I can't even begin to imagine what sort of nonsense the female Blogging Tories have to put up with.

And for the life of me... I just can't figure out what the payoff is here... especially, since I've decided I'm just gonna zap this silliness as it shows up. Maybe it's a lefty thing.

Anyway, folks... if you wanna insure your comments won't be summarily deleted... I suggest you pick a pseudonym and take some responsibility for your words.

**********

UPDATE: Received an email from a reader...

Looks like CC was so pleased with himself, he used his alter-ego drive-by troll profile to crow about his latest triumph in his own comments. And he's certainly impressing noted CC-licker... Kevron.

And what exactly is the Cynic doing with this extra identity?

Amazing. Totally and completely oblivious.

**********

UPDATE2: Like I said... oblivious

No troll like an old troll...

**********

UPDATE3: The list continues to grow...

Zorpheus and Balbulican don't wanna be left out.

**********

RELATED: I hate commercials, but what we have here...

...is a larger issue...

"The bigger question is this: Should the vocal minority always be the one to control the debate?"

"One of the spinoff effects of Web 2.0 and social-media tools such as blogs, Twitter and Facebook is that they make it even easier for relatively small groups or niche markets to seem larger and more influential than they actually are."
I think of this sort of thing as "Michael Moore" syndrome.

Grab hold of some small aspect of an issue... turn on the uber-obnoxious... and spin, spin, spin.

*


26 comments:

Rose said...

Neo does anon's IP address show up? If so track him through that and file a complaint with his internet server, we are required to abide by a "Terms of Service" agreement thus he's in violation.

Stalking you at your blog and posting filth might be alright in his twisted mind but I doubt his service provider would be impressed with his despicable behavior.

Better yet publish the IP addy and let the rest of us have a wack at getting his service pulled.

Personally I received a half a dozen hate Emails on various Canadian discussion forums, at first it was rather frightening but eventually I realised these losers have no guts so they use the internet to spread their anti-female/conservative venom.

Bec said...

I agree with Rose, put it out there and maybe the cowardly bullies, will be outed. On a positive note though, this Anon, can correctly spell, Ha....

Neo Conservative said...

*
"rose says... does anon's IP address show up?"

naw, rose... he'll be crushed to hear it, but i'm afraid little cc-nonymous just isn't that important to me.

he imagines himself to be some kind of anarchist-superhero... but the truth is, he's more like a cranky toddler who keeps climbing out of bed and interrupting adult conversations. all that nasty spew simply highlights his lack of awareness and smarts... kinda makes the whole case for me.

see... that's what anonymous, as opposed to pseudonymous, commenters do... he hides in the shadows and throws his own feces.

i just delete the worst of the nonsense and hope he stays in his smelly little crib.

my hope is that having people take on an identity... a simple pseudonym... will increase the quality of the discourse.

you say it... you should have to wear it.

*

Neo Conservative said...

*
"bec says... I agree with Rose, put it out there..."

what i do, bec... is put the most egregious examples of his nazi commentary & silly sexual references out there for everybody to see.

i dunno... maybe i should just ignore him entirely... maybe this is his fifteen minutes of fame... and he's just groovin' on it.

must be a pretty sad existence if being an anonymous troll is the high water mark of your entire life.

sad.

*

roblaw said...

The irony is thick this morning.. I've been banned from W.K.'s blog, no profanity, just asked him how to reconcile his idolization of the CHRC with Ignatieff's position in his book, "Human Rights, Politics and Idolatry" where he cautions western society from doing just that..

Or maybe it was my follow up post on my own blog, "Warren Kinsella: Iggy said what?!?"

Details are on my blog:

http://searchingforliberty.blogspot.com/

Neo Conservative said...

*
"roblaw says... I've been banned from W.K.'s blog"

well, rob... that's not exactly the same situation we have here.

if my own personal troll wants to step up and start posting pseudonymously as "cc-nonymous"... i'll consider letting his stuff, however odious, stand.

the difference between you and "cc-nonymous" is that he's always trying to walk away from the most idiotic, egeregious stuff when he gets called on it. i just don't think he should be allowed to blend into the "anonymous herd"... and not take responsibility for his words.

this guy's whole raison d'etre is to provoke a violent reaction from other commenters... or make me go to moderated comments.

the other day he claimed to be a university professor and that his students were discussing me in class. it was just too silly to even address... this guy has students like i have a field full of unicorns.

i just can't imagine why he thinks i'd wanna play by his ever-shifting mendacious rules.

anyway... that policy sound fair to you?

*

harry said...

Why don't you simply disallow anonymous comments?

Neo Conservative said...

*
"harry asks... Why don't you simply disallow anonymous comments?"

in principle, i'd rather not disallow anything... but i'm gonna draw the line at this malicious little malcontent.

i wouldn't let anybody walk up my driveway and scream this kind of invective through an open window without acting... but it doesn't mean i'm gonna dig a moat around the property.

that make sense?

*

roblaw said...

..re students.. perhaps he's a journalism professor at Ryerson?

..my take regarding banning anonymous posts.. you're post today was more eloquent than the silence of not posting the loser at all.. and even stupid ignorant posts help to illustrate the lack of intelligent opposition to whatever your point is in the first place.. so I say, post the loser, or store them up to occasionally illustrate en mass what a doofus he (or she I guess) actually is.

..re Kinsella - I agree, it's not nearly the same issue, but I suppose, the point is, why is it that we, on the right, are constantly accused of being nazi's, yet the abuse we get from the left is so often much more malicious than anything going the other way.. isn't it ironic.. don't you think?

Jordan Alcock said...

My current blog allows full commenting, anon. and all. I'm in the process of building my new site, and I will be making it mandatory to enter email address and name. Yeah, someone can use a fake email/name, but the hope is that it will deter people who really have nothing worthwhile to say.

It's a fine line, because you don't want to lose valuable insights from legitimate posters who just may not want to set up a google account(really, who doesn't have one... but still). But you also want to avoid the nasty comments that these idiots decide to leave.

Best policy is to just not feed the trolls, but it's hard to rid yourself of these fools.

Of course, sometimes they just make you look better in comparison... no, most of the time ;)

Jordan Alcock said...

"why is it that we, on the right, are constantly accused of being nazi's, yet the abuse we get from the left is so often much more malicious than anything going the other way.. isn't it ironic.. don't you think?"

We're sane? lol, thats the only explanation I can think of!

Neo Conservative said...

*
"roblaw says... even stupid ignorant posts..."

you can't have light without darkness... but this guy is way over the top. cc-nonymous has mounted a campaign designed, not to enlighten... but simply to harrass.

and yes, jordan... it's interesting how viscious the "compassionate, enlightened left" so often turns out to be.

go figure.

*

KEvron said...

lol!

ANonymous

Neo Conservative said...

*
well... talk about serendipity... along comes uber-troll kevron to underline my premise.

*

KEvron said...

"I could always go to "full moderation" like so many other bloggers... or no comments at all..."

or you could simply set your blog so that anonymous comments are not permitted, you fucking fraud.

ANonymous

KEvron said...

"kevron to underline my premise."

lol!

ANonymous

Neo Conservative said...

*
the brilliance of almighty kevron... good grief.

thanks again for making my point for me, kevvy.

*

KEvron said...

"thanks again for making my point for me"

lol!

ANonymous

Neo Conservative said...

*
wow... there's a creative pseudonym... "liberal supporter".

cc-nonymous steps on his own dick, yet again.

and hey, kevron... did it occur to you that you may be cc's only real flesh and blood commenter?

i mean, how many alter egos... ti-guy, lulu and now "liberal supporter"... does the cynic have?

all those personalities... there's a name for that... right?

-- main post updated --

*

mahmood said...

The fixation this one has with you has entered the danger zone neo, it's time to consider driving by his link's and ramp down the ground and pound on his b.s. as clearly it's more than he can handle...after ploughing thru his site today I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't been institutionalized a time or two... shutting down the comments for a bit should be a considered option until he's had a time-out to cool off...you've got a live one here, good luck.

mahmood said...

lol!

kevron said...

I'm nuts. See you in the pool.

LOL

Anonymous said...

how long have you been fighting with CC? Grow up...

Anonymous said...

Neo, say what you need to say, save the rest for the "Bucket List"...

Neo Conservative said...

*
"cc-nonymous says... say what you need to say"

yes, of course... i always take orders from anonymous trolls.

*

Anonymous said...

" Take orders?" ???...

I got a funny feeling neo don't take orders from any man, including Mr. Neo! ... just a hunch