23 December 2007

Three more lives...

Swallowed up by the Grandravine Triangle.

-- TORONTO -- While police wouldn't confirm the victims' identities pending autopsies on Monday, reports say Diane Simpson, 35, her eight-year-old daughter and four-year-old son died early Saturday in the three-alarm blaze in a townhouse in the northwest part of the city.

This was not the first tragic incident for the family. The father of the four-year-old boy who died, Leroy Whittaker, 46, was shot in the head and killed by a bullet that flew through his apartment door in a gang-style murder in July 2005. No arrests were ever made in his slaying.
This is a very unlucky place.

But don't take my word for it.

**********

UPDATE: Looking like self-inflicted injury

Who hasn't pulled the batteries out of a smoke detector after burning something in the oven? The difference here... apparently... is that this alarm was never hooked back up.
Mr. Fisher says the mounting bracket and the wiring for the smoke detector on the main floor were there but the unit itself had been removed.

He says the Toronto Housing Authority had inspected that townhouse in February 2006 and there was a working smoke alarm then.

It's not known who removed it.
Well... it's really not that much of a reach... but I guess nobody wants to speak ill of the dead.

**********

LAST WORD: Let's play Grandravine Roulette

Lotta MSM argle-bargle about proposed mandatory installation of sprinkler systems in people's homes... but very little talk about the fact that the hardwired detector on the main floor (which would have tripped the other units in the house)... had been removed.

And not just in this one unit.
Since the three-alarm blaze, fire crews checked other units in the townhouse complex to ensure their alarms were working. They found about eight units also had their alarms deactivated.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

C'mon neo, you're slipping a bit. Two paragraphs and you haven't found a way to definitively blame Liberals yet.

Whence your ressentiment? Whence your righteous indignation?

Neo Conservative said...

*
"anon says... Whence your ressentiment? Whence your righteous indignation?"

ah, nonny... nice to see that you so assiduously follow my little blog... despite my "ressentiment"(sic) and my "righteous indignation".

merry xmas.

*

Anonymous said...

neo: As you probably know from my IP info, I'm by quite a bit. Even though it tends to be a pretty caustic back and forth, I do enjoy the regular dust-ups.

Happy holidays to you...and by the way, you should really read this before you accuse me of misspellings.

Neo Conservative said...

*
"anon says... and by the way, you should really read this before you accuse me of misspellings"

i too, enjoy a vigourous exchange of opinion.

as for the correction... unlike the federal civil service... we here at the halls are not officially bilingual, as i spent much of high school french class in a recreational substance zen fog.

always willing to pick up a little foreign vernacular... so i thank you for that.

*

Canada Goose said...

I read that the mother's fiance had been murdered by a gang in the past. Could this have been a revenge arson because the mother tried to get justice?

Why did the fire burn so fast?

Anonymous said...

i too, enjoy a vigourous exchange of opinion.

as for the correction... unlike the federal civil service... we here at the halls are not officially bilingual, as i spent much of high school french class in a recreational substance zen fog.

always willing to pick up a little foreign vernacular... so i thank you for that.


You know, this is why I keep coming back. Just when I finish having it out about some topic on which I think you're absolutely deluded and raving mad...just when I think that I couldn't NOT like you any more...you turn around and say downright decent, normal, and moderate things like this :) As I said, I don't mind the caustic back and forth - I should have added: it's because I get reminders occasionally that there's a human being on the other end. That's what makes it fun.

Sometimes I'm surprised you haven't banned me yet...you show a lot of tolerance. (I know you might not want to hear that lest you sound like a lefty loon, but there it is. You're TOLERANT; at least when it comes to other opinions.)

Keep up the 'good' work here, and I'll keep dropping by and throwing a wrench into the gears.

Cheers

Neo Conservative said...

*
"anon says... I'm surprised you haven't banned me yet...you show a lot of tolerance."

well, i'm not sure it's tolerance, so much as respect for free speech. if you've got an opinion... bring it... but as pj o'rourke once said... "i wanna see the logic AND the lab equipment".

i don't ever ban... hell, i don't even moderate... if people spew patently offensive, simple-minded shit... that's really on them, not me.

you should do a little research... i think you'll find that the oh-so tolerant leftbots are the people doing most of the censoring.

check in over at liblogs and you'll notice that if you're not willing to jump in and groom all the other chimps... they'll shut you down.

ironic, isn't it?

*

Neo Conservative said...

*
"canada goose asks... Why did the fire burn so fast?"

wrong question, my friend...

the boyfriend may actually have been a case of wrong place, wrong time... note that he was shot through a closed door.

the relevant q here is... what sort of dumb bunny disconnects the alarm system and turns half their family into crispy critters?

*

Anonymous said...

I spend a lot of time at liblogs, and I can understand why some blogs ban users or censor postings.

To wit, although I shouldn't associate 'wit' with any of this:

Red Tory is a leftist loon, sociopathic moonbat.

Red Tory has no brains, but rather a pinhead.

Red Tory is a gutless wonder, just like his hero Stephane Dion.

Red Tory is a far left creature, just like his other hero, Jack Layton.

I wish you a very merry muslim Christmas, filled with bombings, death and the koran.

And a little pork as well.

I could wish for nothing more for such a dummy.


Sometimes, some blogs pick up a crazy or two. I don't have any problem with someone giving them the boot. That's not censorship, it's maintaining some semblance of intellectual dignity.

As an aside: just accept it. You show tolerance; respect and tolerance are two sides of the same coin. I'll let you have an out, though: you are tolerant when it comes to other opinions. There, now you can hold your head up around your neo-con friends again.

Neo Conservative said...

*
"anon says... some blogs pick up a crazy or two"

you mean like those shining lights of progressia... canadian cecilia, ti-guy or kevron?

listen... i've had people people threaten me and my family. i've been denounced as a religious crazy, a nazi and a kkk'er... (for the record... i'm an atheist, belong to no political party and my best friend is jewish)... and i still don't censor.

you fight the loonies with reason and logic... if you start censoring... then they win.

that's really what i wanted to say.

*