09 January 2007

Little Humour on the CBC

With all the -- and I am truly sick of the word -- buzz... about Little Mosque on the Prairie, I sat down in front of the television with my wife and son with mixed expectations...

It took only six minutes for my wife to get up and leave the room. She told me afterwards, she found the show "tedious and embarrassing." I would have followed her at that moment, but felt if I was going to post about the show... I had to grimace and bear it.

The characters, all and sundry, were shallow stereotypes that put me in mind of that old television gem "Hee-Haw"... which I caught pieces of as a child -- infantile verbal slapstick dressed up as comedy.

On the bright side, my pre-adolescent son laughed along with the bumbling, awkward characters as they over-acted every single scene.

So I think the CBC may have a hit on their hands here, if they slot it in as after-school filler for the "pre-teen, underarm-farts are hilarious" demographic.

And that's the nicest thing I can say.

UPDATE: Lotta people watched the Titanic launch too
TORONTO — More than two million Canadians tuned in this week to Little Mosque on the Prairie, the new CBC comedy about a Muslim community in a rural town that has been the subject of worldwide attention.
And we all know how well that worked out.

Technorati Tags: , ,