20 November 2006

If a Blogger falls in the forest...

We are all, to some extent, convinced of our significance in the larger world. Call it ego, or arrogance or whatever... it's a very human failing.

Thus I feel compelled to explain my absence of the last four days, all the while knowing that it makes not a whit of difference to anyone out there in 'the real world'.

Anyway, after experiencing a totally unexpected harddrive meltdown, I have been dealing with recovering and rebuilding my 'virtual world' on a new 250 gb drive. The only happy part of the story is that I have a dvd-burner which has yet again saved my sorry ass from complete oblivion.

For the handful of stalwarts who visit me here on a regular basis, I am reporting that I shall return as a regular contributor starting tomorrow or shortly thereafter.

In arboreal solitude & silence, I rise once again from the digital ashes...

neo


4 comments:

Joanne (True Blue) said...

lol! I've been taking a bit of a break right now too, and it is rather humbling to see how the world still seems to get by without you...

Glad you have obviously backed up on your burner. We had a hard-drive melt-down not long ago, and we weren't that farsighted.

The worst part was probably the fact that we lost so many digital pics from vacations, etc. You don't do that too many times without learning from it.

Neo Conservative said...

joanne... i got burned once before and lost a lot of digital pix, which is why i bought the burner. the price of these things is ridiculously low at the moment, anyone who doesn't have one and use it regularly is, well... not on the techno-ball.

i speak as a former mainframe geek, who had to mess around with a tape library for many years.

for anyone who doesn't have one, you can get a plextor burner at costco for about 150 smackers. it's the best and it'll be worth its weight in gold, the next time your box goes south.

fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice... shame on me.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Thanks for the tip, Neo. I'll mention that to my in-house Techie guys.

james higham said...

As one of the 'stalwarts', welcome back and prepare for a focus on you this evening - you're one of 14 I'm scrutinizing for the blogosphere.