07 January 2017

See... I thought that California...

...was on the verge of bankruptcy...professional journalismI guess I was mistaken, because obviously, no government that was in financial extremis would be so irresponsible as to put a sex change operation for a convicted murderer ahead of paying for policing, fire fighting, paramedics and education, to name but a few of their responsib... wait a freakin' penis-choppin' moment...
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- A 57-year-old convicted killer serving a life sentence in California became the first U.S. inmate to receive state-funded sex-reassignment surgery.
The first thing I should point out here is that the photo above is purely for illustrative purposes. It is very obviously not a picture of a 57 year old convict. No doubt the state of California will be doing everything that it possibly can to protect that individual's privacy.

My concern here is not that some person, for whatever reason, has chosen to surgically alter their appearance. There are plenty of folk doing that these days, even in my neck of the woods. On Boxing Day, I was cashed out at Best Buy by a very helpful twenty-something who had hoops in his earlobes you could've tossed a shotgun shell through.

I mean, we won't even talk about the delusional mope I saw on the InterTubes who has had his ears surgically removed and face fully tattoo'd in his ongoing quest to become...and I shit you not... a parrot.

If you have a dream... and who am I to say that emulating a flying creature from a tropical rain forest isn't dreaming in colour... then by all means, have at it.

What I object to, is having you pick my pocket to realise your inner Polly.

Never mind that, in the USA, there are folk who are deprived of life-saving surgeries because they can't come up with the scratch to cover a $50,000 or $100,000 hospital invoice.

This is just wrong on so many levels.