10 April 2008

I wonder if they've figured in...

All the accidents that are gonna be caused... by drivers leaning over and squinting at their GPS screens...
After creating the Clearflow simulation for Seattle, the Microsoft researchers were able to transfer the model by using the algorithms they had developed and then applying them to other cities.
I get that Microsoft is thrilled with their mathematical models... but I suspect there hasn't been a whole lot of "real-world" analysis being applied here.

Not that GPS technology isn't a wonderful thing, but after a few near-ditch experiences... Mrs. Neo won't even let me check the eTrex now... unless I pull over and put it in park.

Just try to imagine the mayhem when you start issuing detour instructions to frazzled, middle-aged rush-hour rabbits.

You think drivers talking on cellphones are a problem?

You ain't seen nuthin' yet.

*