11 September 2008

I remember it well

My father bought a Honda Civic the first year they were available in Canada.

A pretty bold departure for a guy who had... with the exception of a lone Chevy Belair... been an unswerving devotee of British-Leyland.

This blurb in the Globe brought it all back.
The Honda Civic was introduced in 1973 as a car for the masses, targeted to meet the needs of a global market. More than 16 million units later, the Civic is still going strong, produced today in 11 countries and sold in 160 nations and regions worldwide.
I learned to drive stick in that little brown bomb, before graduating to a series of motorcycles... all of them, incidentally... also Japanese made.

A few years later I ended up buying one myself... and it was a solid, reliable choice.

If only North American vehicles had been as well made.

**********

FROM THE COMMENTS:
"I got mine in Van for 10000 even - fast forward 17 years, 375000 klicks, same carb, starter, alternator, no major problems other than brakes, mufflers things that just plumb wore out - I got 1000 cash for it when it was time to replace it."
That's what I'm talkin' about.

*