20 January 2009

Obamagasm

Being out and about today... getting cars and computers back on their respective highways... I missed the most egregious moments of the all-too-predictable media slobberfest about this most miraculous of days.

And tonight, a mere 10 minutes of CTV gush-master Lloyd Robertson convinced me that I had indeed made the smart choice.

Strangely enough... the best line I've heard about the BIG DAY came from last nights Jon Stewart show... "Obama's inaugural speech is gonna make the "Gettysberg Address" look like a series of simian grunts."

I know it was supposed to be mocking the media freakout... but it captured the flavour of the day so perfectly.

**********

FROM THE COMMENTS:

"It was hard to avoid. Even the sports channels had it. Apparently, nothing happened at all in the world yesterday other than the coronation."
**********

LAST WORD: Take me now, Lord...
"I wanted to pick a very optimistic color, that had sunshine," she said. "I wanted her to feel charmed, and in that way would charm everybody."
*


6 comments:

jckirlan said...

And now I read this morning that our own Obama in waiting, the effete Mme Trudeau was positively thrilled with Mr Obama's speech.
Mme Trudeau is so dreamy, right now I am writing in the sidebar of my Canadian history notebook "Justin Trudeau supreme leader and emporer forever of Canada" . Camelot redux, AHHHHHHHH he's so dreamy!!
If we could only get rid of the Nazi leadership in Canada.

JA Goneaux said...

It was hard to avoid. Even the sports channels had it.

What got me was that after 20 minutes on the national nets, I had to sit through another 10 on the local channels. Apparently, nothing happened at all in the world yesterday other than the coronation.

When you add the 10 minutes of weather in every newscast now (its still winter, BTW, in case you didn't watch), the usual puff pieces in the "entertainment" section, the cross-promotion, the sports and the obligatory "heart warming" or "weird" story, you get at most two news stories that would have been recognized as news before Ken and Barbie took over...

rabbit said...

Rather than Bush Derangement Syndrome, the political left now suffers from Obama Derangement Syndrome.

Not much of an improvement.

Neo Conservative said...

*
"jag says... Apparently, nothing happened at all in the world yesterday other than the coronation."

it obviously isn't all that difficult to herd the majority of the sheeple.

if it's on tv... it's carved in stone... apparently on ancient, weighty tablets.

yes, yes, i know... "he is risen".

*

JA Goneaux said...

Let's face it: this is the American Idolization of politics: flashy, inexplicably popular and ultimately as shallow as a piss on a plate.

I'd like to discuss Obama's politics, but, um, haven't HEARD of any...

I'm willing to give him a chance, to hope against Hope (heh) that I'm wrong.

Wrong about Him being only the latest example of Illinois corruption.

Wrong about having a wiff of Him being an empty suit.

And wrong that his main constituency are those folks on Judge Judy who have spent their tax returns bailing out their brother-in-law and now they want their money back...

Anonymous said...

Not to mention the Dr. Phil show, Oprah, ET, The Hour on CBC at 10 p.m.

Then this morning I thought at least the National Post would show a little restraint, but no, a huge picture of Obama on the front page.

I can't believe also the praise for Michelle's yellow dress which made her look sallow and looked like a table cloth.