11 November 2010

Lest We Forget

Do you know someone who enlisted in World War I in Canada?

-- Search the WWI CEF database --

Do you know a Canadian killed while serving his country?

-- Search the Commonwealth War Graves database --

My wife's grandfather, a member of the Canadian Cyclist Battalion, (pictured, in the kilt) was wounded by German shelling and carried around shrapnel from WWI for the rest of his life.

And he was one of the lucky ones... who got to come back and have a family and live out a long, productive and rewarding life.

**********

BY THE NUMBERS:
by the numbers


5 comments:

beachnut said...

My great-grandmother had 4 boys.
All went to war.
All came back.
That was her miracle.

Frances said...

Thanks, Neo - I found Grandad.

Neo Conservative said...

*
frances... you can order copies of his records from the archives in ottawa.

the 1901 & 1911 censuses are also online.

*

Frances said...

I saw that, Neo, might just do so.

Many years ago, my husband & I were renting a duplex and the man in the basement on the other side knew my grandfather from the war. There were still other survivors active, and we attended several Legion events with the veterans from my grandfather's regiment.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Neo. Hubby found his granpa's info.

bluetech