22 March 2011

Too many Chiefs... not enough...

...obstreperous, middle-aged white guys...

When MOE officers Whiting and Hutt arrived, they were confronted by an enthusiastic but peaceful crowd that blocked their entry to the premises. Hutt spoke to the Thompsons and told them that under the Environmental Protection Act he had the right to enter the property and conduct an inspection of the facility.

"We have the legal right to come onto this property," said Hutt.

Doug Thompson disagreed. He said the Crown Land Patent grant gives him the same rights as a First Nations person on a reserve, and he had the right to deny his entry.

Not all land is covered by a land patent, but the OLA suggests that the often-ancient documents do apply across Canada and the OLA has been working to build resources to help landowners exercise their rights.

"They say they have the right to come on to our property and I say they don't," Thompson said.


4 comments:

The Grey Lady said...

Land Patent Grants, no property owner should go with out one. I have applied for mine and once I have it just let the municipality or provincial government try to tell me what I can and can not do with it. The SCOC has already made the decision that these grants supersede the triflings of the land/value grasping Governments.

Neo Conservative said...

*
sauce for the goose...

"He said the Crown Land Patent grant gives him the same rights as a First Nations person on a reserve, and he had the right to deny his entry."

i'm lovin' this.

*

The Grey Lady said...

Exactly,

My neighbour has his straight from the crown, it states he has all rights to his property except logging (Just in his case, not nessesarily on every patent) that right is transferable to his heirs, successors and co-signees FOREVEVR in perpetuity.

Now you think some pencil pushing municipal parasite is going to tell me I can't have a few chickens running around on my property? I don't think so, you think I am going to apply for a permit to cut down a tree? I don't think so, you think I am going to tear down my illegal clothesline? I don't think so, you think I'm going to let dalton tell me what I can and can not build/do with my own land because he has had it designated as some arbitrary (illegal) classification...I don't think so.

It's my land so back off government.

Anonymous said...

I want the t-shirt:

"Back off government!!"