22 October 2008

That sound you just heard...

...is 50,000 physicists worldwide... simultaneously peeing themselves...
It turns out that if you peel the popular adhesive tape off its roll in a vacuum chamber, it emits X-rays. The researchers even made an X-ray image of one of their fingers.

“We were very surprised,” Juan Escobar said. “The power you could get from just peeling tape was enormous.”
In the world of "pure science"... it doesn't get much better than this.

**********

FROM THE COMMENTS:
"Does this mean the fabric of the universe can be destroyed or fixed with scotch tape?"
I gotta say... I just wanna know what led up to this little stunt.

I mean, was some grad student just goofin' on his buddies... "Holy crap, the vacuum chamber's sittin' there with nothin' in it... now's my chance to peel a little tape."

Somebody tell me there wasn't any reefer involved somewhere here.

*