01 March 2009

Two months, ten bodies

When I was 6 years old... I had to walk the better part of a mile... all by myself... to my grade one class... not far from the then sleepy intersection of Bellamy Rd. and Lawrence Ave.

I bet that happens a whole lot less these days.
Business owners in the Scarborough strip mall where a man was slain yesterday don't give their names out of fear for their safety. But everybody has something to say about the bar with shell casings out front.

"You can see it, money changing hands," one man said of drug deals he has watched go down in the parking lot of the Kennedy Rd. plaza, north of Lawrence Ave. W. "Whenever there is drugs, there is problems... It's money and territory."

Few details were released about the city's 10th murder of the year
, including the number of shooters or suspect descriptions.

The murdered man was identified last night as Kaser St. Louis, 24, of Toronto.
*