05 August 2008

The most terrifying 10 minutes...

...of my life.

When my son was about 5 years old, we were at the local Home Depot... and assuming Mrs. Neo had him in tow... I walked down the aisle and headed for lumber heaven. After about five minutes, I caught up with my wife, who, of course, was all on her lonesome.

I won't try to describe the absolute, adrenalin fueled terror that ran through me as I ran to notify the store staff... who promptly locked down all the exits... or what was going through my mind as I fired up my vehicle and cruised up and down the parking lot... looking for a flash of blue snowsuit.

Of course, a couple of minutes later it was all over when a staffer found him blithely pushing an empty shopping cart down an aisle... explaining to anyone who asked, "I'm looking for my Dad."

That's why I just can't get my head around this...
-- JERUSALEM -- An Israeli couple going on a European vacation remembered to take their duty-free purchases and their 18 suitcases, but forgot their 3-year-old daughter at the airport, police said yesterday.

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said a policeman found her wandering in the duty-free area at Ben-Gurion airport.

Rosenfeld said the parents were unaware of the missing child until informed by cabin staff after 40 minutes in the air.
To this day, I'm still not sure what I would have done if I had seen a blue snowsuited child driving away in somebody's car... but I'm thinkin' it wouldn't have been pretty.

It's a lesson I won't forget.

*