18 February 2011

It's a bright, sunny day...

...the birds are birding... and I'm doing a little tractor shopping.

Actually been mulling over picking up a used backhoe... but after further consideration and consultation with a farmer friend... a tractor (and its many attachments) just seems much more useful.

Shouldn't have any trouble picking up a used 3ph backhoe somewhere down the road. And an auger and a bush-hog and... well, you get the idea.

Anyway... things will be a little slow around 'The Halls today'. Funny, though... hasn't stopped the usual suspect from leaving a half-dozen silly-ass internet threats.

Ah, well... the price of popularity. Later.

**********

UPDATE: Good news... bad news...

Okay... I'm back. Had my tractor expert buddy along for the ride and we looked at a 60 horse with a loader and a cab. Not bad shape but 9000 hours on the meter.

That's the bad news. I know I can pick up the same tractor with half the hours (but no cab)... for $1300 cheaper. My resident expert sees the cab as a bug... not a feature... so that would be the way I'd lean for this particular model.

The good news is the guy also had an old backhoe... which, upon enquiry, he's willing to unload. It's a little sloppy in places, ball joints, pins & bushings in the hoe itself... but the motor was completely rebuilt last year... and it has a new hydraulic pump. Comes in at $3000 more than the tractor and I'm probably shelling out another $3000 in repairs to bring it up to spec... but it oughta be in really nice shape after that.
Anyway... I get the backhoe and I need to use implements, I'll either buy a cheaper tractor without a loader... or swap backhoe time for tractor time with a farmer friend.

So... thought about it some... and when I got home left a message for the guy. I'm just waiting to hear back.

Oh yeah... seems my very "special" friend Nonny left another nonsensical slew of netgoober while I was gone. It's all about how inconsequential, and indeed... how fucked up I am.

Seems I still have a more or less permanent lease on that big irony-deprived airspace between Nonny's ears. He apparently doesn't get that if I'm simply dogshit... and his entire waking life revolves around yipping & nipping at my heels... well, you do the math.

Sad.


18 comments:

syncrodox said...

Neo

Those Kuboto tractors are handy little units. A friend of mine has one with all the spiffy attachments and I've worked with it in a number of configurations. It's front wheel assist with mower, loader, 3pt blade, backhoe, post pounder and log splitter attachments.

They're well built and do an excellent job in any configuration. They are pricey but worth the money IMO.

Of course the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys ;-)

Neo Conservative said...

*
sync... the gawds work in weird & wonderful ways... looks like i'm back (see update in main post) to the hoe.

doesn't rule out a tractor somewhere down the road.

*

syncrodox said...

Neo

What breed and model is the hoe?

Neo Conservative said...

*
case 580b extenda-hoe... sorta like this one.

*

MONSTER said...

Ouch 9000hrs. rebuild territory.Case is good. Got me a Kabota and its a great tractor. You can get a cab at the wreakers later and with a little mod work get a good fit. Go with a frount end loader though. You will use it more than the back hoe and you would want it with the bh any ways for counter weight

Neo Conservative said...

*
well... it's the backhoe for right now. refresh motor and a new hydraulic pump last spring... just gotta do the brakes and get the swing tower repinned & rebushed and i'll be a diggin' fool.

probably end up with a tractor as well... but now that i have my stump-puller, i can go with a smaller one like a b-series kubota.

*

MONSTER said...

Oh a rubber tired hoe. Not just an attachment

MONSTER said...

Most times when I think hoe I think track machine.

Neo Conservative said...

*
around here we call that an excavator.

*

MONSTER said...

Alberta we use both terms. Got some great pics from afew years back in Ft. Mac when we decided to float a 2500 Hatachi from the shop to the diggings.Nervous times. How big? Well lets just say that we used a 10N for a hold back Have to look for them on the tower and post them on site.

syncrodox said...

Is that dual stick or tri-stick with a foot pedal swing?

One thing to watch for is the condition of the hydralic hoses, especially within the extenda-hoe mechanism.

If you are rebuilding all the critical pin points recognize that the extenda hoe will likely need the most work.

I would budget more than 3k for the overhall.

I used to run a C790 tri-stick, digging underground electric...capable but tricky machine.

syncrodox said...

Monster

I once saw a 1000 Poclain(13yd) biff it into the muskeg off the shelf on winter overburden removal at Syncrude.

Took us three days to dig the pig out.

Neo Conservative said...

*
"sync says... I would budget more than 3k for the overhaul"

good to know. and btw, it's a pedal swing. as for o/h, i figured the swing tower was the place to start.

the beauty is... this will be my personal machine... rather than a daily worker. i can rebuild it in stages and not be too worried about downtime.

i'll be mostly using it to pull stumps & rocks and also when i push my bush road back to the end of the property. and trenching for drainage.

looking forward to getting started.

*

MONSTER said...

Syncrodox
Been there and done that. I must admit though I had to google Poclain. French machine. Had an operator go on the ice of a tailings pond with a 450 Hatachi once.He bailed in time and extended all the way up. All you could see was the bucket. Had to pad out and build a coffer dam to get it out.Lots of fun. Thinking of going back up to Syncrude and getting back in the game.

syncrodox said...

Right on Neo. Make sure the neophyte gets a little seat time to.

syncrodox said...

Monster

Oh yes...fun and games on the muskeg. I kinda miss it myself sometimes.

Neo Conservative said...

*
okay... heard from the owner of the 580b the other night... looks like he got this one past his horse-raising wife who was partial to the shuttle-shift... and he'll deliver the machine next weekend and throw in a few operating & maintaining lessons.

exciting stuff.

*

Neo Conservative said...

*
okay... the eagle, er... backhoe has landed.

gotta bring myself up to speed... and then the real terra-forming will commence.

i'll be posting more about this as i get further into it.

any machinery/maintenance advice gratefully accepted.

*