17 August 2007

Icarus

The closest I ever came to doing this was back in the eighties, (probably don't have to mention it was before I was married), when I had a subscription to Kitplanes magazine.
Ranging from what resemble go-karts with wings to stand-ins for military spy planes, ultralight aircraft represent the fastest-growing segment of aviation in Canada - despite a steady stream of high-profile accidents.

Devotees can spend as little as $1,500 on a flying machine that looks like something Wile E. Coyote would order from the Acme Corporation, or the equivalent of a down payment on a lightweight factory-built plane.
It's still tempting, I tell you.

What's life without a dream?

***********

RELATED: Mrs. Neo begs to differ...

Although I have often said that if we were to win a million dollars in the lottery, (which would be quite an accomplishment, considering we don't buy tickets) I would rush out and buy a bulldozer... my wife retains a decidedly female suspicion of powered machinery.

She threatened last night to post a comment on the blog... pointing out that I had once again accidentally altered the lines of another pair of heavy-duty workpants with the chainsaw.

Now, it's true there is the occasional glitch, in what I portray as "life in paradise."

There was a moment there, when I felt the whirring carbon steel teeth nuzzling at my knee, that I thought, "Oh shit, you've really done it now"... but after a quick check to confirm the absence of arterial spray and securing a wad of paper towel (reminder to self, get a proper first-aid kit) to the affected area with a bungee cord... it was back to deforestation.

And despite a few inevitable trade-offs... all the poor corporate serfs mired in misery down there at Castlefrank and Bloor can still kiss my rural rectum... cos' I'm never going back.

Technorati Tags: , ,