09 March 2008

Does not play well with others

Anybody out there having a little trouble with Microsoft Vista? Turns out... you're not alone.

Mike is clearly not a naïf. He’s Mike Nash, a Microsoft vice president who oversees Windows product management.

And Jon, who is dismayed to learn that the drivers he needs don’t exist? That’s Jon A. Shirley, a Microsoft board member and former president and chief operating officer.

And Steven, who reports that missing drivers are anything but exceptional, is in a good position to know: he’s Steven Sinofsky, the company’s senior vice president responsible for Windows.
And how do we know this?
Their remarks come from a stream of internal communications at Microsoft in February 2007, after Vista had been released as a supposedly finished product and customers were paying full retail price.
Oops.

*


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Add me to the list of Vista haters. I've been happily using Windows 2000 to the present time (totally stable, NEVER a crash).

My kids used XP on their PC, and while it is not as good as Win2K, it is usable.

Then their PC died, and I had to get a new one... no choice but Vista. So, what the heck...

It's been a total FIASCO: half our old software does not work, troubleshooting is near impossible, even to get my IP address I have to go through a bunch of convoluted steps.

Now, my Win2K PC, which has served me faithfully for 6 years, is showing signs of impending collapse. I've been looking at new PCs, but cannot bring myself to buy a Vista PC. I can get some XP stuff, but they tend not to be the best ones orthe best deal...

Sigh.

For the first time n 20 years of computing, having bought over a dozen PCs over the years, I am thinking about Apple.

Sigh

Neo Conservative said...

*
xp pro does the trick for me... make sure you get the fixes from the windows update website.

my vista laptop is going back to costco... it just can't carry the vista freight.

*

Anonymous said...

Well, I've made a request to a Toronto custom PC maker to see if they can design a decent system and make it run Win2K. If not, then I guess it's XP Pro for me. :-(

But Vista??? over my dead keyboard.

Manuel said...

Vista is great I find, but I suppose I'm also tech savy....it's not exactly streamlined for those accustomed to the previous windows either, being more Linux based and all.

Neo Conservative said...

*
well... i have a background in mainframe technical support... and have worked first level pc support... and my experience suggests you better have the hardware ponies to pull that vista train.

sounds like these microsoft execs weren't that impressed either.

*

Anonymous said...

If your worried about the extra resources just run vista home basic. It uses about the same resources as xp and I haven't really had too many problems with it. (especially since service pack 1) XP is still better though if you can get it.

Neo Conservative said...

*
"anon says... just run vista home basic... uses about the same resources as xp"

i am... and it doesn't.

*