15 March 2021

It was a kinder, gentler time...

REMEMBER HANDHELD MISSILES OF DEATH?insert alt text here
"I put a lawn dart through the back window of my neighbor’s Ford Taurus and spent the entire summer mowing his lawn."
A BANG AND A WHIMPER:
"As a kid in the 60s, my uncle looked up 'gunpowder' in the family encyclopedia and headed off to the pharmacy with his pocket money." 

"He could barely reach up to the counter, but they were happy to sell him a pound of each ingredient."
THE MIGHTY LIVINGROOM VOLCANO:
"I had the one that let me melt down metal and pour it into molds. Playing unsupervised with molten metal was lots of fun!"
"When I was 8 or so, my grandfather gave me a big glass bottle of elemental mercury."
ALSO THE SWINGIN' SIXTIES:
My mother, after 6 years in Canada, completely forgot the Scotland of her youth...
"One of my earliest memories is being babysat by my widowed, paternal grandmother in Glasgow... Granny gave 4 year-old me & 3 year-old Neo-Bro a hatchet and a hammer, respectively... and shooed us out the door to play on the wooden tenement stairs."